Caramelized onions are made so easy with the Instant Pot. They’re ready in about 45 minutes, start to finish, with minimal hands on time.
Do you love caramelized onions but hate all the hands-on time they take to make? They can take up to 40 minutes on the stove top with almost constant stirring so that they don’t burn. Who has the time?
Well the Instant Pot has changed all that.
With the Instant Pot you can have richly flavored caramelized onions with minimal hands-on time. The instant pot does most of the work with 20 minutes of pressure cooking.
Once the pressure cooking is finished, the onions cook on the sauté function for about another 20 minutes to allow the extra liquid to evaporate and to get that lovely golden brown color. This only requires occasional stirring from you.
The really great thing about these onions is that they are freezer friendly. I like to freeze them in zip-loc bags in 1/2 cup portions. That way I can easily pull out just the right amount that I need for a recipe.
By having caramelized onions in your freezer ready to go, there are so many recipes that you can make in a fraction of the time they’d normally take. These are some of my favorite recipes that come together in no time with the pre-made onions:
Don’t have an Instant Pot of your own to give these delicious onions a try? The good news is that I’ve teamed up with some other bloggers to give away an Instant Pot! You can find all the details and enter to win below.
Welcome to the 12 Days of Christmas Instant Pot Giveaway!
One lucky person is going to win an awesome 6-Quart Instant Pot Ultra. If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet, you’re missing out. This device is 10 appliances in one! Yes seriously, here’s what it can be used as:
- Pressure Cooker
- Slow Cooker
- Rice Cooker
- Cake Maker
- Yogurt Maker
- Egg Cooker
The 6-Quart Instant Pot Ultra set includes a steam rack, recipe booklet, serving spoon, soup spoon and measuring cup. Here are some of the new features:
- Altitude adjustment
- Cooking indicator
- Steam release reset button
- 3 lbs yellow onions
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- Peel onions, cut in half lengthwise and then cut into thin strips crosswise.
- Melt butter and two tbsp olive oil on sauté function in the Instant Pot.
- Add onions and salt, tossing to coat in the fat.
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over the top of the onions.
- Cover and set for 5 minutes on the manual function.
- When finished, quick release the steam.
- Remove cover and drain any excess liquid.
- Return onions to pot and turn on saute function.
- Cook, stirring frequently for an additional 20 minutes, until liquid has evaporated and onions are a deep golden brown.
- Store tightly covered for up to a week in the refrigerator or freeze for up to 2 months.
If your freezing the onions, I recommend dividing them in to 1/2 cup portions and freeze in plastic freezer bags.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 58Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Instant Pot Giveaway
This giveaway has been organized by Juggling Act Mama and sponsored in part by the following bloggers:
- Walking on Sunshine Recipes
- Bowl Me Over
- As For Me and My Homestead
- Suburban Simplicity
- Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish
- One Creative Mommy
- An Affair From the Heart
- Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Official Rules and Conditions: One winner will receive a 6-quart Instant Pot Ultra. No cash value. Open worldwide to adults 18+. One (1) winner will be chosen. Prize must be claimed within 48 hours of announcement or a new winner will be drawn. Prize will be delivered electronically. All entries will be verified. This giveaway is in no way associated with Amazon, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Rafflecopter, or any other entity unless otherwise specified. Giveaway ends 12/17/2018. Enter using the widget below.
Christmas Sweets and Treats
We’ve got a lot of yummy dessert recipes on the blog, but these are some of our most favorites for Christmastime:
- Tricolor Christmas Cake Pops
- Milk Chocolate Christmas Bark
- Christmas Snickerdoodles
- Mocha Truffles
- Gingerbread Cookie Dough Bark
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Dipped Cookie Dough Truffles
- White Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
Be sure to check out all the 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways!