Creamy Italian Chicken Sausage Soup is a hearty and healthy main dish soup that’s loaded with veggies and savory flavor. Plus it’s ready in just 30 short minutes.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I.Love.Soup. It doesn’t matter if it’s 90 degrees outside, I still love it. I know that sounds crazy, but there’s just something about a steamy bowl of soup that makes me want to eat it year round.
But I especially love soup during the cooler months. When it’s freezing cold outside, there’s nothing quite as comforting.
It warms you up from the inside out and is such a cozy meal. Paired with some crusty bread and a green salad, it’s quite possibly the perfect comfort meal.
You might think that soup is a time consuming meal that has to simmer on the stove all day, but often that’s not the case. There are so many soups that can be ready in under an hours and sometimes even 30 minutes, which makes a perfect meal for busy weeknights.
These are some of my favorite quick and easy soup recipes:
That brings me to this fabulous creamy Italian chicken sausage soup. It has so much incredible flavor and it’s easy enough to make any night of the week.
On top of all that, it’s a healthy soup. By using chicken sausage instead of pork sausage, the fat and calorie counts stay down and it’s loaded with good-for-you veggies.
So how about a big pot of creamy Italian sausage soup for dinner tonight? I promise your family will love it!
What do I need to make Italian chicken sausage soup?
- Fully cooked Italian chicken sausage – If you prefer, you can use Italian pork sausage or Italian turkey sausage, but I recommend that whatever sausage you use, it’s fully cooked, rather than raw.
- Red onion
- Red bell pepper – If you don’t have a fresh red pepper on hand you could also use jarred roasted red pepper or any color fresh bell pepper that you have.
- Fresh garlic – You can substitute 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- Dried Italian seasoning
- Dried rosemary
- Red pepper flakes – You can use more or less of this, depending on how spicy you would like the soup to be. The amount called for in this recipe gives the soup a little bit of subtle heat.
- Chicken stock – If you prefer, you can substitute vegetable stock. I wouldn’t recommend using beef stock, as I think that would overpower the flavor of the soup.
- Half and half – Heavy cream will also work is that’s what you have on hand. If you want the soup to be dairy free, you can substitute plain almond milk.
- Short cut pasta – Any short cut shape you want to use will work.
- Grate parmesan cheese – If you want a dairy free soup, just omit this ingredient.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, diced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 (16 oz) pkg frozen spinach, thawed and liquid squeezed out
- 1 cup short cut pasta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 1251mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 22g