Slow Cooker Ham Bone and Navy Bean Soup is so easy to make and will warm you from the inside out on the coldest winter days.
A Wonderful Comfort Food
I’m just going to say it, this is not fancy food. What this slow cooker ham bone and navy bean soup is, is good, down-home comfort food. The kind of food that will warm you up on a cold winter day and make you feel all homey and good.
Time to Take a Break From Winter Weather
On another note, I’m really excited today, because this is that last day for 12 glorious days that I will be craving this kind of warm-you-from-the-inside kind of comfort food. Tomorrow, Steve and I are flying down to Florida and on Friday we set sail from Ft. Lauderdale for 11 sun-filled days in the Caribbean….SQUEEEEE!!!
Can you tell I’m a little bit excited?? YAY for warm weather vacations, I’m so ready for a break from the cold weather.
Let the Slow Cooker Do All the Work
Alrighty, let’s get back to this slow cooker ham bone and navy bean soup. The slow cooker makes this so incredibly easy. All you do is chop up your veggies, add everything to the slow cooker and let it work its magic.
Easy. Flavorful. Delicious!
The ham bone creates a deliciously flavorful stock and a quick puree with an immersion blender thickens it up beautifully. I bought a smoked ham shank for this, but a ham bone from a leftover ham works equally as well.
Once it’s done its thing in the slow cooker, you end up with a deliciously rich and thick soup that’s so full of flavor. It’s total comfort food and will definitely warm you up from the inside out.
More Slow Cooker Soups to Try
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- handful of parsley sprigs
- several sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 ham bone and the meat surrounding it (I used a smoked ham shank)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 9 cups water
- Tie herbs together with kitchen twine to form a bundle.
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours, until beans are tender.
- Remove herb bundle and ham bone from slow cooker.
- Allow ham bone to sit until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bone and chop into bite size pieces.
- While ham bone is cooling, puree the soup with an immersion blender, just enough to thicken. You still want the soup to be chunky.
- Stir chopped ham back into the soup.
- Alternatively, remove about 3 cups of the soup and puree in a blender and then return to the soup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 495mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 7gSugar: 2gProtein: 13g