Creamy Italian Chicken Sausage Soup is a hearty and healthy main dish soup that’s loaded with veggies and savory flavor.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I.love.soup. It doesn’t matter if it’s 90 degrees outside, I still love it. But I especially love soup as we transition from summer into fall. For me, it’s the perfect comfort food and it warms you up from the inside out.
You might think that soup is a time consuming meal that has to simmer on the stove all day, but often that’s not the case. There are so many soups that can be ready in under and hour (sometimes even 30 minutes), which makes a perfect meal for busy weeknights. Some of my favorite quick and easy soups are Shrimp coconut Curry Soup, Weeknight Chicken and Dumplings and Beef Enchilada Soup.
That brings me to this fabulous creamy Italian chicken sausage soup. It has so much incredible flavor and it’s easy enough to make any night of the week. On top of all that, it’s a healthy soup. By using chicken sausage instead of pork sausage, the fat and calorie counts stay down and it’s loaded with good-for-you veggies.
So how about a big pot of creamy Italian sausage soup for dinner tonight? I promise your family will love it!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, diced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 (16 oz) pkg frozen spinach, thawed and liquid squeezed out
- 1 cup short cut pasta
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Sauté sausage until it starts to brown.
- Add onion, carrots, celery and red pepper to the pot.
- Continue sautéing until onions are translucent and veggies are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté about 30 seconds longer.
- Stir in dried herbs, salt and pepper.
- Stir in chicken stock, increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat back to medium and stir in half and half, spinach and pasta.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in parmesan right before serving.