Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese is easy, creamy and so, so cheesy. Once you make it, you’ll never want store bought again.
Easy to Make
Stove top macaroni and cheese really is super easy. It literally takes longer to cook the macaroni than it takes to make the sauce. This took me less than 25 minutes to make…..start to finish.
And with just a couple of little tricks, it turns out super creamy and delicious. Way better than anything you can make out of a box and seriously, not much more effort!
Tips and Tricks
My first trick with making the sauce is to warm the milk slightly. I just put it in a measuring cup and warm it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. That helps to prevent any lumps from forming, so your sauce will be smooth as silk.
The second thing I do is turn off the heat before I stir in the cheese. This keeps the sauce from getting that grainy texture that cheese sauces sometimes get. If you follow this step, you’ll have smooth and creamy mac and cheese every time.
Cheese, Cheese, Cheese!
Finally, my trick for amazing flavor is to us three different cheeses. I like to use cheddar, monterey jack and swiss.
The cheddar adds the bold cheese flavor, the monterey jack gives the mac and cheese its smooth creaminess and the swiss adds a little nuttiness in the background. All in all – so.much.flavor!
So, next time you have a craving for mac and cheese, give this stove top version a try. I promise you won’t be disappointed and you may never make it from a blue box again!
More Easy Pasta Dishes to Enjoy
- Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo
- Old Fashioned Goulash
- Chicken Piccata Pasta Toss
- Tortellini Butternut Squash Pasta with Pancetta and Spinach
- Marry Me Chicken and Tortellini
- One-Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken Pasta
- Chili Mac Skillet
- 16 oz pkg elbow macaroni, cooked according to package instructions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk, warmed
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- Melt butter over medium heat in a skillet or large pot.
- Whisk in ground mustard.
- Sprinkle flour over the butter and whisk in, until the flour has totally dissolved.
- Cook for about 1 minute.
- Whisk warm milk in slowly, making sure no lumps are forming.
- Increase temperature and bring mixture to a boil.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, until mixture has thickened.
- Turn heat off and whisk in cheese, a handful at a time, until it’s completely melted.
- Once macaroni has finished cooking, stir into sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 446Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 776mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 20g
This recipe has been share at: