Winning game day chili is rich, hearty and full of healthy, good-for-you ingredients. Serve it with all of your favorite toppings and it’s perfect for any game day party.
Football season is in full swing and that means game day food is also in full swing, because watching football and snacking just seem to go hand in hand. Am I right? Football season in my house is even more special this year because my daughter, Kelly, is a rookie with the Minnesota Vikings Cheerleaders. I’ll admit that I’ve never been a huge football fan, but I am all in as an official Vikings fan, complete with t-shirts and hoodies. Steve and I have already been to a game in the new stadium and on Sundays you will most definitely find our TV tuned in to the game. Of course, what I’m really trying to do is catch a glimpse of Kelly on the field! 😉 #SkolVikings
Ok, now that I’m done with my proud mama moment, back to the chili. I’m calling this winning game day chili, because it truly will be a winner at your game day party. It’s super beefy and hearty and just the right amount of spicy. What makes it even better is that it’s healthy football food, so you can have a big bowl and not feel the least bit guilty.
Along with it being super flavorful, I love this chili because it really is quick and easy to make. It’s mostly made with pantry items, so there’s minimal chopping and the cooking time is short, as well. That means you don’t have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen getting ready for the big game. Serve it with a variety of toppings like diced avocado, shredded cheese and sour cream and let everyone top their bowl the way they like.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1⅓ lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- cheese, avocado, sour cream, etc. for topping (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium high heat.
- Add ground beef to pot, stirring to break it up.
- Once beef begins to brown add onion and red pepper flakes.
- Continue cooking until beef is cooked and onion is translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining ingredients, stirring until well combined.
- Bring chili to a bubble, reduce heat to simmer, cover and let simmer for at least 15 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.