Easy Deep Dish Pizza Casserole is a quick and delicious alternative to pizza delivery, even on the busiest night of the week.
Today’s recipe is the kind of recipe I love having in my repertoire for a busy weeknight. It’s by no means a fancy meal, but it takes regular ingredients that are easy to keep on hand, it’s quick to make and it tastes really good. What’s not to love about that on an average weeknight when you just want to get dinner on the table?
So… what is this recipe of which I speak? It’s an easy deep dish pizza casserole. It’s easy because it starts out with a crust made with crescent rolls. Then you make a quick sauce with ground beef and tomato sauce, layer it with some cheese over the crescent rolls and pop it in the oven. Easy…right? You could make this even quicker by assembling the dish earlier in the day. Then at dinnertime all you have to do is bake it.
If your family likes other toppings on their pizza, you could change up the sauce. Try adding some more veggies, like green pepper and mushrooms or add some diced pepperoni and green olives. Whatever your family likes. Serve it with a tossed salad and you have a yummy, satisfying dinner!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 pkg crescent rolls
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- chopped fresh basil for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for a few minutes until softened.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
- Add red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning salt and pepper.
- Add ground beef, breaking up with a spoon and brown until no longer pink.
- Stir in tomato sauce, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, coat a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Line the bottom of the pan with the crescent rolls, pinching seams together.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese over the crescent rolls,
- Spread ½ of the sauce over the Parmesan.
- Top that with ½ of the mozzarella cheese.
- Spread remaining sauce over the mozzarella and top with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool for a couple of minutes and sprinkle with chopped basil, if desired.
- Cut into slices and serve.