I love to make tomato sauce in large quantities. It’s just as easy to make a large batch as it is to make a small batch and it freezes beautifully.
It’s great to have on hand when you need a quick meal and equally great when you’re making a more complicated dish, like lasagna, because it’s one less step for you.
I’ve got a number of tomato sauces that I like to make, like this San Marzano Pasta Sauce, but this is the first time I’ve made tomato sauce in the slow cooker. I have to say, it was so easy and it tastes amazing!
The sauce has a lovely deep tomato flavor and depending on how much red pepper flakes you add, it also has a nice little spicy kick. It gets pureed at the end, so nothing needs more than a quick rough chop and then you let the slow cooker do all the work for you.
Refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months.
Your kitchen will have an amazing aroma and when it’s done, you’ll have about 3 quarts of sauce ready for pasta, chicken parm, lasagna or whatever you happen to be making that needs sauce.
Recipes That Can Use Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 7 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 8 cloves garlic crushed and peeled
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup torn basil leave, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and onions.
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker, EXCEPT for 1/2 cup torn basil and 1/4 cup chopped parsley.
- Stir until ingredients are well combined,
- Cook on high for 7-8 hours, until tomatoes are very soft and breaking down.
- Puree sauce with an immersion blender, if you have one. Otherwise, puree in batches in a blender of food processor.
- Stir in remaining basil and parsley.
- Refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months.
- If the sauce is not as thick as you'd like it, add cornstarch that's been mixed with a little water, 1 tbsp at a time, until it starts to thicken.
- I like to freeze the sauce in 2 and 4 cup containers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 18mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 3g