Today’s recipe is great for either an appetizer or as a light entree. My inspiration for this recipe comes from both a Pampered Chef recipe and an appetizer at one of my favorite local restaurants, Cravings Wine Bar. When I first had this at the restaurant it reminded me of the Pampered Chef recipe, which I hadn’t made in years. The major difference was that the mushrooms at Cravings had chicken in the stuffing and the other version didn’t. Well, the chicken just puts these mushrooms over the top, they are so good!
So I played around with the recipe and came up with a pretty darn good stuffed mushroom. Steve had been traveling last week and got home late on Friday night and these were perfect for a light late night dinner. As I already said, they are really great as an appetizer. If you’re going to serve them as an appetizer you may want to cut them in half or even in quarters before you serve them.
Stuffed Portobella Mushrooms
- 4-6 medium portabella mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken, chopped into small pieces
- 3 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- 2 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste