Hey, how about we start our Monday off with something healthy and delicious, like this Smoked Salmon Egg and Avocado Toast? It’s so simple, yet it packs a punch with both flavor and nutrition.
Smoked salmon is a relatively new discovery for me. I’ve always thought that I didn’t like it. I’ve never been a fan of cooked salmon, but not for lack of trying. It’s such a popular fish and so good for you, so I keep trying it, but for me it’s just OK. I do LOVE raw salmon in sushi, which tastes completely different to me than cooked salmon. The texture and the flavor are just amazing. I also don’t generally like smoked fish, I just don’t.
So how does it happen that I now like smoked salmon? Well, like cooked salmon, I just kept trying it and I finally realized that it’s pretty darn good. For me, the texture is similar to raw salmon and even the flavor is similar, but (obviously) with an added smokiness.
So that’s how this yummy smoked salmon egg and avocado toast was born. It’s super quick and easy to make and it’s such a nutritional powerhouse. You’ve got healthy fats and fiber from the avocado. Then you’ve got a good amount of protein from the egg as well as the salmon, plus those good for you omega 3s. Finally, I like to use Trader Joe’s sprouted wheat bread which adds even more fiber and protein, plus it tastes great.
So what do you say? Is smoked salmon egg and avocado toast going to be in your breakfast rotation this week? I promise you’ll love it!
- 1 slice whole grain bread, toasted
- ¼ avocado
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- dried dill
- 1 egg
- splash of milk
- pinch of salt
- non stick cooking spray
- 1 slice smoked salmon
- Mash together avocado, along with lemon juice and a sprinkle of dill (about ⅛ tsp).
- Whisk together egg, a splash of milk, pinch of salt and another sprinkle of dill.
- Heat a non-stick skillet, coated with cooking spray, over medium low heat.
- Add egg to pan and stir until eggs are scrambled and cooked through.
- Spread avocado mixture on the toast. Top with egg and smoked salmon.
- Sprinkle a litte more dill over the salmon.