Stove top macaroni and cheese is easy, creamy and so, so cheesy. Once you make it, you’ll never want store bought again.
Stove top macaroni and cheese really is super easy, it literally takes longer to cook the macaroni than it takes to make the sauce. This took me less than 25 minutes to make…..start to finish. And with just a couple of little tricks, it turns out super creamy and delicious, way better than anything you can make out of a box and seriously, not much more effort!
My first trick with making the sauce is to warm the milk slightly. I just put it in a measuring cup and warm it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. That helps to prevent any lumps from forming, so your sauce will be smooth as silk. The second thing I do is turn off the heat before I stir in the cheese. This keeps the sauce from getting that grainy texture that cheese sauces sometimes get.
So next time you have a craving for mac and cheese, give this stove top version a try, I promise you won’t be disappointed and you may never make it from a blue box again!
- 16 oz pkg elbow macaroni, cooked according to package instructions
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk, warmed
- 1¼ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- ¼ cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- Melt butter over medium heat in a skillet or large pot.
- Whisk in ground mustard
- Sprinkle flour over the butter and whisk in, until the flour has totally dissolved.
- Cook for about 1 minute.
- Whisk warm milk in slowly, making sure no lumps are forming.
- Increase temperature and bring mixture to a boil.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, until mixture has thickened.
- Turn heat off and whisk in cheese, a handful at a time, until it’s completely melted.
- Once macaroni has finished cooking, stir into sauce.
This recipe has been share at: